Recipe by by Kaia England from Masterchef.
I made this recipe a few days. It was my first attempt at using cumin seeds- I had previously been uninterested in cumin seeds. I now like cumin seeds. The end.
By the way, it’s really good.
For the chicken:
1 tsp cumin seeds
3 garlic cloves, peeled
1 red chilli, stemmed
2 tbsp cup olive oil
22.5ml/1½tbsp fresh-squeezed orange juice
22.5ml/1½tbsp fresh-squeezed lime juice
2 large boneless chicken breasts
For the warm salsa:
2 tbsp chicken drippings or olive oil
½ cup orange juice
1 tsp grated lime zest
1 tsp honey
2 tsp thick sweet soy sauce
4-5 knobs of chilled, unsalted butter
½ firm but ripe mango, peeled, stone removed, diced
½ ripe avocado, peeled, stone removed, diced
freshly chopped herbs (coriander, parsley, chives, etc.)
1. To make the marinade: In a heavy medium-size skillet over a medium-high heat, toast the cumin seeds until fragrant (slightly darker in colour), about 2 minutes.
2. Transfer the seeds, garlic, chilli and salt into food processor (preferably a mini) and grind into a coarse paste. Place into a medium bowl.
3. Heat the olive oil in the same skillet until very hot and pour over the paste. Stir to blend. Let stand for 15 minutes.
4. Whisk in the orange juice and lime juice. Pour the marinade into a rectangular or oval gratin dish and cool. Add the chicken to the marinade, turning to coat.
5. Cover the chicken with cling film and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 3 hours.
6. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Remove the chicken from the marinade. In a heavy skillet, over moderately high heat, brown the chicken on both sides (about 2-3 minutes per side).
7. Finish chicken in the oven (7-8 minutes). Tent with foil and
allow to rest for 3-5 minutes.
8. While the chicken is baking, whisk together the chicken drippings, orange juice, lime zest, honey and soy sauce in saucepan over medium-high heat.
9. Bring to a boil and reduce (approximately 5-8 minutes). Remove from the heat and quickly whisk in the knobs of butter one at a time.
10. Combine the mango and avocado in medium bowl. Scatter the mango and avocado around the chicken, drizzle with sauce and sprinkle with fresh chopped herbs.