250g mangetout (snowpeas), trimmed & blanched
50g snowpea sprouts
1 red capsicum, julienne
½ teaspoon dashi granules
1 ½ tablespoons hot water
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon mirin
1 teaspoon soft brown sugar
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon ginger, finely chopped
½ teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
Ingredients for Fish Cakes
450g white fish fillets, skin & bones removed
45g rice flour
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 egg, beaten
3 tablespoons coriander, chopped
3 teaspoons red curry paste
1 teaspoon red chillies very finely sliced
100g green beans, very finely sliced and blanched
2 eschalots, very finely sliced
vegetable oil for shallow frying
Method for Salad
1. Combine the snowpeas, sprouts and capsicum in a bowl.
2. Dissolve the dashi in the hot water and add the soy, mirin, sugar, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, vegetable oil and half the sesame seeds.
3. Pour over the snowpea mix toss well and season.
4. At service sprinkle the remaining sesame seeds over the salad.
Method for fish cakes
1. Cut the fish into small pieces and process until smooth in a food processor. Remove from the processor and place in a cold mixing bowl.
2. Add the rice flour, fish sauce, egg, coriander, curry paste and chilli. Mix until well combined.
3. Form into 6 even sized patties.
4. Heat the oil in a fry pan and shallow fry over a low heat until golden and cooked through.
Serving Suggestion: n.b Mirin is Japanese rice wine.