The beauty of this cake is obviously the fact that it stays moist, smells delicious while baking and is perfect warm of cold. It’s relatively quick and easy to whip up too. You can see from my pic, right, that I didnt really bother with garnishing or fancy styling, I simply couldn’t wait to devour that slice, so please forgive me!
1/2 cup milk
2 cups SR flour
2/3 cup sugar
1 orange, juiced and rind peeled
1 tbsp vanilla essence
2 oranges, juiced or 1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 tbsp lemon rind
1 tbsp orange rind
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a springform cake pan and line with baking paper.
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat until well combined.
- Add eggs, orange juice, milk and vanilla essence and stir well.
- Add flour and beat for approximately 1 minute, until mixture is smooth and there are no lumps.
- Bake the cake at 180°C for approximately 30 minutes, or until golden and a skewer comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, combine syrup ingredients in a pan over heat, stirring continuously until sugar dissolves. Do not boil.
- Once the cake has cooled, pour the warm orange syrup over the cake and serve.
You can garnish with a sprig of mint, candied orange or lemon peel, an orange twist, dust with some icing sugar or tumble some berries on top.