- 120g rice vermicelli
- 300g topside steak
- 1L beef stock or consomme
- 1 tsp finely chopped red chilli
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 80g bean sprouts
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup shredded fresh mint leaves
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 4 tsp fish sauce, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
1. Soak the rice vermicelli in boiling water for 10 minutes. Cut the steak across the grain into very thin slices (about 2mm). Bring the stock or consommé to the boil in a separate pan, and add the chilli.
2. Drain the noodles. Place a quarter of the onion in the bottom of each bowl. Divide the noodles among the bowls then top with the meat. Pour the boiling stock onto the meat slices, then add the bean sprouts, coriander and mint.
3. Squeeze a lemon quarter over each bowl, and add 1 teaspoon fish sauce to each portion. Season to taste. Serve immediately.