I know it’s winter here in the southern hemisphere here and all and this meal has a certain summer feel about it, but it was so delish that it would be a real shame to have to wait until summer to enjoy it (not that I would ever be so silly!).
A few notes about this recipe. It serves 4 for a light meal or two really hungry beasts (aka, The Husband and moi).
I added the chilli slices to the fennel and orange salad because The Husband is a chilli nut and will eat it on everything….Yes, everything.
The orange and fennel salad is obviously so versatile, you can leave the chilli out and team it with seafood as well. Of course, the dressing is completely open to interpretation as well…
I sliced a few of the oranges with the skin before peeling them, just for some colour (oh, please don’t hurt me Donna Hay!) These oranges were bought from the local farmer’s market and were so fresh that the skin just detached quite easily with the knife and fork during the meal, no biggie.
A very simple and quick meal, perfect for the mid-week rush.
For the chicken
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sprig of rosemary leaves
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
For the salad
- 1 bulb fennel, thinly sliced (core removed)
- 1 navel orange, peeled and cut into segments
- 1 orange, juiced
- 1 small, red chilli
- 1 great big handful of flat leaf parsley (get rid of those stems though)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Begin by combining 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, lemon juice, rosemary leaves, oregano, salt and pepper into a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Slice chicken breast fillets in half so that you have 4 pieces of chicken. Beat the crap out of it with a mallet if you need to even them out to ensure they cook evenly.
- Add the chicken to the marinade, ensuring it is coated well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, you can prep your salad. Combine the fennel, orange slices and chilli in a serving bowl.
- To make the dressing, whisk orange juice, olive oil, mustard, honey and white wine vinegar together until well combined. Season to taste. Pour the dressing over the fennel, orange and chilli and toss to combine. Set aside.
- Preheat cast-iron grill, or BBQ and cook the chicken, in batched until golden and cooked through.
- Serve alongside the fennel, orange and chilli salad immediately.