Today’s quick and easy lunch earned a blog post purely because it was so delish, I will be making it again and wanted to note down the recipe. Now there’s no need to try and jazz this up, it’s a simple meal, nothing flash or sophisticated. It’s a perfect work lunch, or even a light post-work dinner. I dare say, you could probably even get the kids to eat it, or at least help make the pita pizzas. Quick, easy and tasty, that’s my mantra.
The salad was inspired by the flavours of a fattoush salad, but I made a few changes and served my pita crisps separately as opposed to in the salad. This recipe served 2 with a little salad to spare and a few pita crisps shared with my fur babies.
For the pizza
- 2 pieces of pita bread (*if you’re health conscious, you can definitely use the wholemeal stuff)
- 1- 2 cups pizza sauce (*you can make your own with a bit of tomato paste/passata, onion, garlic, basil & oregano or buy a good pre-made one)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (*I use mine from a jar, alternatively you can finely chop 1 clove of garlic)
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1-2 cups of mozzarella cheese, (depending on how cheesy you want it)
For the salad
- 1 piece of pita bread
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced sideways, chopped
- 1/2 tomato, chopped
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 cup red cabbage, sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup red capsicum
- 1/2 cup green capsicum
- 1/3 cup mint leaves
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Cut 1 slice of pita bread into small wedges. Spray with cooking spray, sprinkle with cumin powder, salt and pepper and pop it in the oven to cook until golden and crispy.
- Meanwhile, spread another piece of pita bread with a thin layer of pizza sauce. ‘Glue’ the second piece of pita bread on top. Spread with another, more generous layer of pizza sauce. Spread with minced garlic and then sprinkle with dried oregano and parsley leaves.
- Top with mozzarella cheese and then bake in the oven long enough for the cheese to melt and go golden and for the base to crisp up.
- Meanwhile, prep your salad: combine all the salad ingredients into a bowl. Combine olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a separate bowl, stir to combine and then pour over your salad, ensuring you mix it through well.
- When the pita crisps are ready, remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- When the pizza is ready, slice it immediately and serve alongside the salad and pita crisps.