For the cake:
- 250g Butter/Margarine
- 300g Light Muscovado/Caster Sugar
- 100g Plain Flour
- 100g Self-Raising Flour
- 3-4 Eggs
- 300g Dark Chocolate
- 1-3 Red Chillies (depends on your preference)
For the ganache:
- 200g Dark Chocolate
- 200ml Double Cream
1. Heat an oven to 160°C
2. Grease with butter a 20cm (approx) cake tin or springform pan.
3. Using a whisk, add the butter/margarine to a mixing bowl together with the sugar. Whisk till light and fluffy.
4. Beat in the eggs one at a time, take care not to let the mixture seperate. If it does seperate, add a bit of flour.
5. Next you need to melt the chocolate, this can be done by microwaving it in a microwave-save bowl for 1 minute bursts, mixing with a spatula between bursts.
6. Once cool, add the chocolate to the mixture and mix in.
7. Add the remaining flour to the mixture and stir till smooth.
8. If you are using fresh chillies finely chop them, and either add now or crush/blend them to a paste.
9. If using ready made chili paste or oil, add it to the mixture now, or the paste you made yourself. Add slowly, checking it does not too badly ovepower the mixture. Stir till smooth.
10. Pour the cake mixture into the greased cake tin.
11. Bake for just under 1 hour or till fully cooked. Check by poking a knife or stick in, and if clean it is cooked. Do not let it burn, so check occasionaly. It should be risen and have a slight crust.
12. Take out the cake, and let it cool for 10 minutes, before taking out of the tin. Then leave to cool for another 10 minutes on a wire rack.
13. The cake could be eaten now, or if you want to ice it, proceed with the instructions, or choose your own icing choice.
14. To make Chocolate ganache icing, simply:
Melt the chocolate as before, and mix together with the cream, and then cool until thickened. Cut the cake in half, ice, then put back together and ice all over.
Recipe adapted from Jamie Oliver’s recipe.