- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- Canola oil, for frying
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, seeds scooped out and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 cup thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup thinly sliced assorted wild mushrooms
- 1 large leek, white part only, washed and cut into strips
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 packet of spring roll wrappers
- 1 egg, beaten
- Pour sesame oil into hot wok, cook garlic, ginger, chilli, mushrooms and leek on med-low heat for about 5 minutes until soft and fragrant.
- Add the hoisin sauce, fish sauce and soy sauce to the pan and cook for a further few minutes. Remove from heat and set the mixture aside to cool. Season to taste.
- When the mixture has cooled, it’s time to start rolling the spring rolls. Lay a spring roll wrapper on a flat surface on an angle so it looks like a diamond. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the filling near the bottom corner of the wrapper and fold up to enclose the filling. Fold in the two sides. Paint the top seam of the wrapper with the beaten egg. Continue rolling up until nice and firm.
- Deep fry in a hot wok with canola oil, in batches, until golden and crispy. Drain on absorbent paper.
- Serve with a hoisin dipping sauce and snowpea salad.
Snow Pea Salad
- 1 cup trimmed snow peas
- 1 carrot, sliced into matchsticks
- 1 red capsicum, sliced into strips
- 1/2 spring onion, sliced finely
- 1 red chilli, sliced finely
- 1 stick celery, sliced
- 1/2 cup vermicelli noodles, soaked in hot water and drained
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- Soak vermicelli noodles in boiling water until softened and translucent. Set aside in a colander to drain all liquid while you prepare the salad.
- Add 1 tbsp sesame oil to hot wok, stir fry snow peas for approximately 1 minute, remove from wok.
- Compile salad ingredients and add vermicelli noodles.
- In a separate bowl, mix vinegar, hoisin sauce, fish sauce and sesame oil. Mix well and pour over the salad. Toss to combine.