My extended break from blogging wasn’t something I had intended, but sometimes life throws us curve balls and the only way we can deal with these twists in fate is to curl up, shut ourselves off from the world we know and focus on protecting ourselves in our shell.
My curve ball was a health scare (nothing to do with my diet, surprisingly enough!), impending surgery and my job being made redundant. In many ways, I think this is the best thing that has happened to me in a while. It has allowed me to take the time to focus on myself, my home life and most importantly, cooking good meals without the time and energy constraints. My husband and I have been eating very well lately and I am amazed at what a dramatic difference taking some time off between jobs has has caused.
I admit, for a while, I lost my blogging mojo, but here I am, with a new recipe I had to record for future reference, an easy chocolate cake with a naughty chocolate buttercream icing, topped with fresh, drooling berries, icing sugar and shaved chocolate.
Again, excuse the photos. The downside of blogging about dinners and desserts is that I have to photograph them at night. Maybe now that I’m taking a break from work, I can start doing some day time shots 🙂
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup boiling water
125g butter, room temperature
1 1/4 cup caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup SR flour
1/4 cup plain flour
2 cups fresh or frozen berries
2 tbsp grated chocolate, to garnish
icing sugar, to garnish
250g butter, softened
2 cups icing sugar, sifted
1/2 cup cocoa powder, sifted
1/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush a round cake pan with melted butter to grease and then line the base with non-stick baking paper.
- Sift cocoa powder into a bowl. Slowly add the water, stirring to form a smooth, thick paste.
- Use electric beaters to beat the butter, sugar and vanilla essence in a medium mixing bowl for 1-2 minutes or until pale. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition until combined.
- Sift together the flours. Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake pan and bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Stand for 3 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
- For the buttercream icing, beat the butter until pale and creamy.
- Add the icing sugar, cocoa and milk and beat until fluffy. Spread over the cake, top with berries, sprinkle with icing sugar and shaved/grated chocolate.