These baked eggs are perfect for a mid-week breakfast when you want something warm and nourishing without having to set your alarm an hour earlier to cook something delish.
The perfect thing about this dish is that you can pop it in the oven and resume your morning activities- iron your outfit, put your face on or even jump in the shower quickly. You still get to enjoy a warm, oozing cooked egg brekkie without standing over the stove in your sleep-zombie state.
You can also use wholegrain slices of bread or even tortillas as your ‘ramekin”. If using bread, simply cut off the crusts, flatten with a rolling pin and place in a muffin tin to form a cup. Pre-bake the bread/tortilla for a few minutes before adding the egg to make sure the base stays crispy.
This recipe serves 2.
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp milk or cream
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- 2 tbsp spring onions, sliced
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Grease 2 ramekins with butter. Crack one egg into each ramekin, taking care to keep the yolk whole.
- Add 1 tbsp of milk/cream to each ramekin, the divide the parmesan, chives, spring onion and parsley amongst both serves.
- Season with salt and pepper and bake until the egg white has just set.
- Eat it quick, before the yolk sets!
Enjoy with toast soldiers for lots of dipping, gooey fun. Just don’t put on your work shirt till AFTER breakfast.